Monday, June 8, 2009

Sarah's Ironman Florida 70.3 Race Report

I've had my evening of reflection and I am waking up this morning with a lighter head. First off, I am proud of myself yesterday. Do I think it was the best I could have done? No. Was it the best I could have done yesterday. Yes. I know that swimming is not my strong suit. But almost 40 minutes, wet suit or not, does not reflect my gains in the pool over the past three years.The bike was ridden from my heart, trusting that I was not overkilling my legs and knowing that I wanted to make a statement of past workouts. The computer zapping out may have been the best thing all day. Why? Because I was forced to trust myself yet again. And I am proving time and time again to myself, that no matter what obstacles present themselves, I can deal with it, right then and there. I am so proud of myself for this. I stayed consistent and that was my main goal, computer or not.

The run exploded in my face. This morning I am ok with this. I know the fire that I have in my heart when it comes to putting on my kicks and racing towards the sun. I know the desire I have in my eyes when I see a Pro Women in front of me, telling me to hang on because she sees I am a strong runner. Yesterdays run was an opportunity for me to re-evaluate today. And I am thankful for this. Looking back, I had goosebumps on my body at least three times during that run. And I know that this means if I had pushed any harder, I may have ended in a tent rather than the finishline. So, I know I fueled well prior to the race. I really WAS spot on. I think Kim was beginning to think I was the over anal psycho triathlete. Taking salt tablets two days before the race, hydrating, applying sunblock every hour to keep the skin nice and white. The errrors in my mind were made by skipping that last aid station on the bike and possibly not enough calories. The heat most certainly got to me, especially when I began to get goosebumps. For the entire 2:45 time on the bike, I had 3 GU's (1/hr and ate every 15 minutes). I drank 1 and a half to three guarters of GE (I think thats 75 calories and hour). I had 4 salt tablets an hour (15 minute increments).

The run was a mistake. I stopped taking salt at one point but ate bananas, coke, GE and water at aid stations, switching on and off with Coke and GE. I had four shot bloks and when I felt like one was coming back up, I stuffed them in my jersey and stopped eating them. Truth is, the nutrition leading off of the bike into the run and throughout summed up with the heat concluded with that feeling of being drained and just not able to keep that DRUNKENESS out of my head. I gained a lot from yesterdays race. My focus for the day was to "Go back to the basics." It was written on my hand and I believe I found new bits and pieces of the basic puzzle that are easily forgotten. The most important, love for what I do and even more appreciation for my desire, dedication and the ability to pleasantly surprise myself along the way. I'm learning Mary. Through you and your amazing accomplishments. Through the relationship that I have found with myself, one that most people can not attest to.

No comments:

Post a Comment